Sunday, March 28, 2010

Questions that were asked - What are my conditions

I have received a few e-mails asking what exactly are my conditions. I know I have posted this before but it has been a good long time and since I have been getting these questions I thought what the heck. I will make a special post about it. So this is going to be that post. So if you have asked me questions about what the symbols and big words mean this post is for you and of course anyone else interested to know a little more.

Lets start with PCOS. PCOS means polycystic ovary syndrome. This diagnosis carries with it significant health risks for women. It is estimated to be present in 5 to 7 percent of reproductive age women. The majotity of women with PCOS have anovulation. Which means we can not or do not ovulate like we should. Which means if we can not ovulate right we can not get pregnant. It also leads to longer or shorter cycles with heavy bleeding in most cases. The worst thing about this condition is pregnancy loss. The miscarriage rate in women with PCOS is about one third of all pregnancies. This is at least double the rate of women without PCOS. The hard part is the reasoning behind this is unclear. With PCOS we have elevated LH Levels, not enough progesterone secretion, abnormal embryos and abnormal endometrium. Lets not forget that most women with PCOS have insulin resistance. There is more but you get the picture. So far not so good right.

Now we will continue with Endometriosis.  Endometriosis is a common gynecologic disorder that affects approximately 14% of all women and 30% to 50% of infertile women. The most common symptoms of endometriosis are chronic pelvic pain, progressive dysmenorrhea, dyspareunia and infertility. The only way to know for sure if you have this is by laparoscopy. Which I have had done and it has been confirmed to be one of my issues.  Endometriosis is often treated surgically upon diagnosis. I had as much removed as possible during my surgery.  I do want to add that the rate of recurrence is very high. Moving on to the next issue I have.

MTHFR means Methylene Tetrahydrofolate Reductase. Nice BIG word for everyone there and that is why we call it MTHFR. The full name is quite a mouth full as you can see. The MTHFR gene is responsible for absorbing folate. (And of course, most readers familiar with trying to conceive have heard of the importance of folate/folic acid. Taking folic acid reduces the risk of having a baby with neural tube defects (which is why most of the grain products on the market are fortified with folate).) Research shows that high homocysteine levels and/or those with the mutation show a higher propensity for thrombosis (blood clots), arteriosclerosis (hardening of arteries), Alzheimer’s, stroke, heart attack, Fibromyalgia, migraines (especially with “Aura” migraines), osteoporotic fractures, bone marrow disorders and for those of child bearing years, it has found to be connected to higher incidences of down’s syndrome, spina bifida, other neural tube defects, trisomy, miscarriage, stillbirth, implantation failure, placental abruption, preeclampsia, higher incidences of autism, amongst others. Please see my older posts for more information on this disorder.

Now lets talk about hypothyroidism. Yes I have that as well. If what I had already was not enough I have another one to tell you about. Hypothyroidism is abnormally low thyroid hormone production. Some of the symptoms include slowed heart rate, tiredness, inability to tolerate cold, mental fatigue, and constipation. I take a thyroid medication to regulate this issue and I have blood tests to monitor my levels.

OK so now others asked me why one cycle of IVF is going to cost me $9,000.00.
There is no insurance that covers infertility in my area that is available to me. I have a preexisting condition now and can not get this coverage. The cost of the procedure in my area is the amount stated above for just one cycle. Believe me I have checked for a cheaper rate. I am not able to leave the state for a month with my husband in order for me to get it cheaper in another state. My husband is a police officer and can not get that amount of time off. Not to mention we would lose our house if he took a month off. I am creating jewelry by hand and selling it in an online store to raise the money for my infertility treatments. If you would like to help you can take a look at my jewelry at Jewelry for Hope on ArtFire. That link will take you strait to my shop.

I think that about covers the questions that I have received in the last few weeks. If you have any questions please comment and I will try to get them all answered for you.

Baby Dust to ALL!!!

3 comments:

Melody said...

I hate infertility! I love God's Love and the way he blesses us with the desires of our hearts, however. I finally conceived my daughter after almost 18 months and MANY MANY tears! God is good and I believe he gives us desires for a reason. I too, have PCOS. I take Metformin and we are thinking about ttc again. However, we have NOT prevented for over 2 years and have not gotten pregnant yet. I also won the necklace off of Tammy's site. She shipped it yesterday and I can't WAIT to get it!

Jennifer said...

Melody,
I am so glad you won the necklace you are going to LOVE it. Check out my shop for more great items :) http://craftybabyhope.artfire.com Infertility sucks but right now it is my cross to bare. I would not wish infertility on even my worst enemy. I hope you the best in TTC and keep us in the loop on what is going on with you. :)
Jennifer

Tie Dye By Sara said...

I HAD endo and PCOS. I had a radical hysterectomy the week before Christmas in 2006. I know the 1 in 3 miscarriage risk, as I lost my first very early. I was later blessed with two wonderful sons, the youngest being conceived in spite of an ovarian cyst.
I know that God will only give you what you can bear. My hope and prayer is that you wont have to bear much more.